LA CONNER SCHOOL BOARD DIRECTOR CANDIDATE FILING WEEK MAY 13-17, 2019
The state legislature created local school districts to administer the educational mandate of the State Constitution and the statutes passed by the legislature. The La Conner School District has a locally elected Board of Directors whose members serve four-year terms. This five-person Board is non-partisan. The Board members establish a program that complies with state law and the common school rules and regulations adopted by the Superintendent of Public Instruction and the State Board of Education.
A person may become a candidate for a place on the board by filing a declaration of candidacy with the county auditor during the May filing period, as prescribed by law. The filing week for candidates for La Conner Director District 1, 2, 4, and 5 is May 13-17 for the November 2019 election. Interested candidates can file online, by mail, or in person. Additional information on filing for candidacy may be found at www.skagitcounty.net The La Conner School Board consists of five community members, one from each geographic region of the district. Board terms are four years.
Qualifications: Candidates for school board must be:
- Citizen of the United States of America
- Legal resident of Washington State
- At least 18 years old by election day
- Registered to vote within the La Conner School District attendance area
- Registered to vote within the director district they wish to represent
Specific duties of local Board of Directors include:
- Employing a school superintendent, principals, teachers, and other personnel.
- Establishing appropriate courses of study equal to or greater than required by the State Board of Education.
- Adopting a school budget.
- Determining local levies.
- Assessing teaching materials.
- Establishing local policies as appropriate.
Regular meetings of the Board are usually held at 5:30 P.M. on the fourth Monday of each month, except December and May when the Board meets on the third Monday. Board Study Sessions are usually held the first Monday of each month. The meetings are held in the La Conner School District Office building.
Information regarding the district boundaries is available on our website and the district office, 305 N 6th Street, or by calling 360-466-3171.
Dated this 6th day of May, 2019.
Dr. Whitney Meissner,