Welcome to the Highly Capable Program
The Highly Capable Program (HiCap) provides instruction, activities and services that accelerate learning and promote student growth. HiCap offers unique academic challenges and support for young learners who qualify. It is designed for students who learn at a faster rate and show a deeper understanding of subjects compared to their peers. Students in the program are encouraged to take the learning experience into their own hands as they discover their academic potential.
Services for Highly Capable students may include:
- In-class differentiation (content assigned is at the student’s higher level of readiness)
- Content compacting (in which repetition of content that students have mastered is replaced with enriched or advanced work)
- Pull-out Challenge and Acceleration classes (once or twice a week, HiCap students meet as a small group for additional challenge)
- Online courses (replaces in-class content allowing student to work at higher level)
- Running Start
- Advance Placement (AP) classes
- Northwest Career and Technical Academy
If you have any questions regarding this program please contact Beth Clothier, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
La Conner School District Highly Capable Program Referral Process
La Conner School District will be accepting referrals through May 11, 2018 for students interested in participating in Highly Capable services for the 2018-19 school year. Others may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Students currently enrolled in the Highly Capable/Highly Motivated program do not need to reapply, unless specifically requested to do so.
If you wish to refer a student to be considered for Highly Capable services, please complete this referral form. You may also download and print the referral form (PDF Version, MS Word Version, Spanish Version (PDF) (MS Word)). Completed forms may be turned into any of the school administrative assistants.Referred students will need to take the Cognitive Aptitudes Test (CogAT) to be considered. The CogAT administered will be one grade level above the student's current grade. CogAT assessments will be administered during school the school day, with parental permission only.If you have any questions regarding the referral and selection process, or the Highly Capable/Highly Motivated program at La Conner School District, please contact Beth Clothier, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.