Highly Capable/Highly Motivated Programming ServicesDefinition
Highly capable students are students who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments. Outstanding abilities are seen within students' general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivities within a specific domain. These students are present not only in the general populace, but are present within all protected classes.
Students who are highly capable may possess, but are not limited to, these learning characteristics:
La Conner School District will begin implementation of K-12 Highly Capable/Highly Motivated programming beginning in the fall of 2014. Prior to that time, students may be nominated for consideration of services. Assessment of nominated students will take place in May; parents will be notified prior to any additional testing involving their student.Below is a flow chart describing the anticipated process for student identification for Highly Capable/Highly Motivated services:If you know of a La Conner student who should be considered for Highly Capable/Highly Motivated services, please complete the nomination form and return to the school district office. Nominations for the 2014-15 school year will be accepted through April 2014.Highly Capable/Highly Motivated Nomination Form 2014 (PDF Version)Highly Capable/Highly Motivated Nomination Form 2014 (Microsoft Word Version)For a chart of some of the possible services available for students, please see our Continuum of Services diagram:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength; and
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.