MS & HS Visual Arts Curriculum
The purposes of this curriculum:
1. Assist MS & HS students with whole person development, emphasizing skill development and the exploration of innate creativity.
2. Meet Washington State OSPI (Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction) Learning Standards for the Visual Arts using the EALRs (Essential Academic Learning Requirements) and GLEs (Grade Level Expectations). The Arts Learning Standards describe what students should know and be able to do in the Visual Arts.
3. Provide students with instruction in the skills and concepts being assessed in the OSPI-developed assessment for the arts(formerly called the CBPA, Classroom Based Performance Assessment). In May, report the grade level and number of students completing the OSPI-developed arts performance assessment.
4. Help students meet the 8th and 11th grade Benchmarks through development of visual arts vocabulary and concepts, and demonstrated understanding of the elements of visual arts which include line, 2-D shape, 3-D form, color, texture, spatial devices, and range of values.
The focuses of this curriculum:
1. Visual Arts Elements – the basic components that makeup a work of art - color, form, line, shape, space, texture, and value.
2. Principles of design of visual arts – means of organizing the elements in a work of art – balance, contrast,emphasis/dominance, harmony, rhythm/movement, repetition/pattern, proportion, unity and variety.