School Lunches for Taste of Skagit Week
Every fall school districts and Washington Farm to School celebrate Washington food and farmers by picking one date in October for their Taste Washington Day which this year will be held on October 3rd. La Conner School District takes the idea and mission a bit farther by celebrating Taste of the Skagit Week, bringing in fresh vegetables, fruits and beef from a multitude of farmers who grow throughout the county. Our food service staff is busy everyday cooking up many menus from scratch, as well as the great foods the USDA provides for us every month. We will be serving:
Monday – Teriyaki Chicken, Whole Grain Rice, Fresh Steamed Local Broccoli, Local Apples, Juice, Milk.
Tuesday – Whole Wheat Waffles, Local Roasted Potatoes, Sausage Patties, Local Frozen Strawberries, Juice, and milk.
Wednesday – Local Beef Spaghetti, Haricot Vert, Local WW Flour In Biscuits, Local Pumpkin Mousse, Juice, Milk.
Thursday – Toasted Cheese Sandwiches, Local Tomato Soup, Local Blueberry Crisp, Juice Milk.
- Broccoli will be coming in from VIVA Farms in the Port of Skagit County.
- Apples will be coming in from Swanson Bros. on Flats Road.
- Potatoes will be coming in from Pioneer Potatoes on Jungquist Road.
- Strawberries will be coming in from the USDA from Washington processors.
- Beef comes from Forrest Cattle Co. out on Prairie Road.
- Pumpkins come from Gordon Skagit Farms on McLean Road.
- Tomatoes are coming in from VIVA Farms.
- Blueberries are coming in from Bow Hill Blueberry Farm.
- Beets and Coleslaw is available on the salad bar and these items come From Hedlin Farms, just down the road outside of town.