• McKinney Vento - Homeless Youth Information
    Regular attendance in school is one of the most important indicators of success. The federal government passed legislation called the McKinney-Vento Act to help ensure school stability for students whose housing is unstable. If your family is in housing that is not fixed, regular, or adequate, your child might be eligible for certain educational rights and services.
    Under the McKinney-Vento Act, Children in Homeless Situations Have The Right To: 
    • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they've lived there.
    • Attend either the local school or the school of origin, if this is in their best interest; the school of origin is the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed or the school in which the child was last enrolled. 
    • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin.
    • Enroll in school immediately, even if missing records and documents are normally required for enrollment, such as a birth certificate, proof of residence, previous school records, or immunization/medical records.
    • Enroll, attend classes, and participate fully in all school activities while the school gathers records.
    • Have access to the same programs and services that are available to all other students, including transportation and supplemental education services.
    • Attend school with children not experiencing homelessness; a school can not segregate a student because he or she is homeless.

    Please Contact:
    District Homeless Liaison: Will Nelson (360) 466-3171
    Wa State Homeless Education Coordinator: Melinda Dyer (360) 725-6050

    NCHE Washington 
    Toll-free Helpline: 800-308-2145
    State Coordinator:   (360) 725-6050

    Dispute Resolution
    You have the right to appeal a decision regarding the placement of your child.  If you wish to appeal a decision, please submit an appeal request within 15 business days of the decision. Below is a link to access the Dispute Resolution packet, which includes the request to appeal form. Also linked below is a more detailed guide to the dispute resolution process. If you have questions, please call the district liaison or OSPI coordinator and they will assist you.

Last Modified on September 12, 2023